07/26/2016

KISS adds patriotism, charity to rock íní roll spectacle

By Travis Heying / THE wICHITA eAGLE

In one month, Gene Simmons will turn 67. His KISS bandmate Paul Stanley isn’t far behind at 64. In other words, it isn’t 1977 anymore.

But 39 years after they played a show at Henry Levitt Arena that people still talk about, there they were, on stage at Intrust Bank Arena, spitting blood and jumping around in platform boots with the same youthful enthusiasm that made them famous.

Maybe it’s the makeup.

The patriotism-fueled “Freedom to Rock” tour stopped in Wichita on Monday night and played for a crowd of 8,000.

“You wanted the best and you got the best! The hottest band in the world… KISS!” Those lines have been repeated before their shows for 40 years and the band that invented the gargantuan rock show made an entrance like only they can. Behind a falling black curtain, three band members, Simmons, Stanley and guitarist Tommy Thayer, stood on a riser shrouded in fog. The letters K-I-S-S flashed behind them. The opening notes of “Detroit Rock City,” arguably their biggest hit, pulsed straight into a pyrotechnics blast that would have only surprised a first-time KISS concert attendee.

During the second number, the appropriately titled “Deuce,” Stanley sat down on the edge of the stage, nearly knocking a photographer in the head with his platform boots, but once positioned, hammed it up for the assembled photographers like an excited kid.

07/26/2016

KISS fans bridge generation gap

07/26/2016

Vet is Roadie for a Day for KISS

07/25/2016

Freedom to Rock tour invades Intrust Bank Arena Wichita Tonight

Gene Simmons says KISS will rock Wichita just as hard as it did in ’77

/ WichitaEagle.com

Photo by Keith Leroux

Almost 40 years later, Gene Simmons doesn’t remember the iconic Kiss concert at Henry Levitt Arena – the Dec. 6, 1977, show that rocked so hard, people who were there are still talking about it, still comparing notes.

Simmons, who called in advance of the band’s Monday concert at Intrust Bank Arena, does however love to hear that Wichitans remember.

“That’s the highest compliment,” he said. “I would imagine there are some concerts you can’t remember. Or concerts where you can say, ‘I was born on the night my mother saw Kiss.’ Or better yet, ‘I was conceived on the night my mother and dad saw Kiss.’ 

Simmons, now 66, is the outspoken, often controversial bassist for Kiss, the iconic rock band that formed in 1973 and also includes lead singer Paul Stanley, guitarist Tommy Thayer and drummer Eric Singer. The group has accumulated more gold records than any other American band.

Simmons is the one with the extra-long tongue, the extra-frank mouth and the reality show stardom. His life was documented in “Gene Simmons Family Jewels,” which featured his wife, son and daughter and aired on A&E from 2006 to 2012.

07/25/2016

Allentown Fair billboard gets tongue-in-cheek about KISS concert and cows

By  / http://www.mcall.com/

There’s a classic rock legend that Gene Simmons, bassist for the band KISS, had a cow’s tongue grafted onto his own to form his trademark appendage.

Now, a new billboard along Route 145/MacArthur Road in Whitehall Township takes a tongue-in-cheek – or, rather, out of cheek -- twist on the legend to promote Allentown Fair’s Aug. 30-Sept. 5 run and the Sept. 1 concert by KISS.

On the huge sign, a cow representing Allentown Fair (perhaps its mascot Moodonna?) has its face painted to match Simmons’ onstage KISS makeup, and has a Simmons-like tongue protruding from its mouth.

And in this case, the tongue definitely has been grafted on: It’s a puffy, pink 3-D appendage.

The sign’s slogan, “Party Every Day,” is from the lyrics of KISS’s song “Rock and Roll All Nite.”

07/24/2016

Retired Air Force chief master sergeant invited to be KISS roadie for a day

By: Jake Allen / The Gazette

Sherry Jenkins, a retired Air Force chief master sergeant, got to rock 'n' roll all day and all night with one of her favorite bands Monday.

Jenkins and her husband, Tim, were invited to be KISS roadies for the day during the band's show at The Broadmoor World Arena in Colorado Springs. Sherry said she has been a fan of KISS for about 35 years.

"I grew up listening to them, and you'll see the older you get you stop listening to some of the things you used to listen to," she said. "I'm still a huge fan."

The couple started the day putting together gift bags for VIP fans. Then they watched KISS perform an acoustic set for VIP fans and had their picture taken with the band before enjoying the show.

07/23/2016

Review: KISS Brings Their Freedom to Rock Tour to Lincoln, Nebraska

Riding down on a platform amidst shots of pyro, smoke and flashing lights to the opening riff of "Detroit Rock City," KISS kicked off its Pinnacle Bank Arena set with the theater and bombast that has been its stock-in-trade for more than four decades.

Nearly 2 hours and 17 songs later, the Rock and Roll Hall of Famers -- whether the hall really wanted them or not -- wrapped up an entertaining show that didn't disappoint any of the 7,000 who witnessed the first KISS show in Lincoln in the 21st Century.

"We've been to Lincoln five times, this is our fifth show," Paul Stanley told the crowd. "Our very first one was in 1976. The last one we played might seem like yesterday but it was 1990. We've got some catching up to do."

Then came "Shout It Out Loud" in a set that cascaded through the band's catalog, hitting most of the hits and some deeper cuts, like "Flaming Youth."

The quartet's pounding, crunching rock sounded good as did the vocals of mainstays Stanley and Gene Simmons, now in their mid-60s.

More News

Upcoming Tour

More Dates

Kiss On Twitter

PaulStanley.com
GeneSimmons.com
KISS Wall Art
Klassic Videos